I am absolutely relishing the start of 2018. New Years is one of my favorite holidays! I am a passionate list maker and New Years is the one special day each year that prompts all people to become list makers (even if only for a moment)- jotting down goals, projects, and resolutions for the year ahead.
I was listening to one of my favorite podcasts (Happier by Gretchen Rubin) on the drive from Florida back to North Carolina, and she mentioned the idea of coming up with 18 things to accomplish in 2018. I loved the concept and decided to make my own list of 18 goals/resolutions for the year ahead!
I usually create just one list of resolutions, and it is usually filled with mostly business-related goals for the year. But this year, one of my greatest goals is to achieve some level of work-life-balance. One of the biggest draws of entrepreneurship is the freedom & flexibility of it. But full disclosure: 2017 pushed me to the brink of burnout. Wearing all the hats and being a solopreneur sparked so many feelings of constant overwhelm. For the latter part of the year, I felt like I could barely keep my head above water- working from sun up till long past sun down, not taking time for my mental or physical health, and constantly feeling like I was failing at some forgotten facet of my business.
2017 taught me that there truly is a limit to how much one person can do. I'm certainly blessed to have a job that is also my passion. But I have other passions, hobbies, and needs too. And this year, I am trying to make time for them by adding some space between myself and my brand. I plan on filling that newly acquired space with all the (non-jewelry) things that I love: time spent with my hubby, belly scratches for my dog, cooking, reading, exercise, traveling, & learning.
The year is off to a good start! I recently moved the business out of my home and into an office space. Having my work out of my living area has already cleared up so much mental space and has really put me at ease in my own home.
I got serious about scheduling. In the years past, I have let my creative flow dictate how I spent my days at work. I'm fairly focused and task-oriented, so it hasn't been a total disaster. But with wanting more structure in how I spend my days, I designed schedules for the new year that lay out exactly how I should spend my time daily & weekly. I created unique times for all the responsibilities of my business, considered what times of day I'm most productive, and scheduled "me-time" (gym, dog walks, disconnected family time) right into the schedule. Now that it is on my calendar, "me-time" has become a non-negotiable instead of the first item to get swept under the rug when things get busy.
This doesn't mean I'm going to neglect Sea+Stone! I still have big things planned for the 2018- and can't wait to share them with you soon! But for now, here are my personal goals for 2018 :)
Personal 18 for 2018:
- Spend a minimum of 1 hour daily doing something active (tennis, gym, yoga, etc) on 6 days each week.
- Take Curtis (my goldendoodle) on a real walk everyday... (not just tossing the tennis ball out the back yard for him).
- Complete 3 pull-ups by end of the year. I know this sounds wimpy... but I've never in my life been able to do an unassisted pull up :/
- Read one book each month. (I'm a big fan of non-fiction, business books, memoirs, and self-improvement books. Please comment with your favorites & recommendations!)
- Donate time or money to a charitable cause each month.
- Meditate for 5 minutes each day.
- Drink 12 cups of water each day.
- Actively work on learning another language. (Hubby and I are learning Spanish together and are spending 15 minutes on Duolingo each day)
- Limit time spent on wasted internet scrolling, and opt for getting social IRL instead.
- Write a review for one small business each week.
- Make weekly effort to stay in touch with friends & family.
- Keep daily gratitude journal.
- Be a better budgeter. (The fact that my town doesn't have a Trader Joes or Target certainly helps with avoiding impulse buys! lol)
- Do at least two hours of yoga each week.
- Stay on top of health. Be an adult & schedule doctor, dentists, and eye appointments.
- Clean car weekly and professionally once a month. (I admittedly have a problem with hoarding receipts and shopping lists in my car).
- Book two scuba diving trips this year.
- Blog & write for fun weekly.
What are some of your goals and resolutions for 2018?? Comment below!